Key contacts

Morton Fraser Partner Lucia Clark
Lucia Clark
Lucia is a partner in our Family Law team in Edinburgh. 
0131 247 1243
Morton Fraser Partner Fiona Sasan
Fiona Sasan
Fiona is an extremely experienced family lawyer and one of our Glasgow based partners. Fiona is also an accredited family law specialist, a ...
0141 274 1107

In a shrinking world, if you live, work or have assets abroad, you need clear legal advice with an international focus. Whether dealing with UK immigration law, or seeking international tax advice, or guidance on expat divorce, we have the expertise and resources you need. 

How we can help you

We work closely with established contacts in most global jurisdictions and are therefore well placed to co-ordinate advice for our international clients. In particular, Morton Fraser is the only Scottish member firm of Interlaw, an international association of independent law firms located in 120 cities worldwide and our membership and international contacts allow us access to legal advice across the globe.

International Family Law 

One frequent question from expats living and working abroad is 'What am I entitled to on divorce in Scotland?'. We understand that many expats wish to deal with personal family law matters back home in the UK, with a UK divorce, rather than overseas, and can advise on the best way forward. At Morton Fraser, we are experienced in advising both Scottish and English expats in matters of international divorce, ranging from cases involving the UAE to disputes between the English and Scottish courts. We also advise international families on pre-nuptial agreements, as well as a large number of cases involving disputes about where children live

Immigration and Residency

We have significant experience advising clients based overseas who are looking to move to the UK for the first time, returning with their family from time overseas or looking for advice about British citizenship for children born abroad. Our specialist team will help you identify the best immigration route to fit your long term plans, and later we can help you with visa extensions, applications for indefinite leave to remain and becoming a British citizen.

When you move to the UK you may want to buy a property, get advice about the tax implications of your move or set up a will for your assets in the UK. As a client of Morton Fraser you will have access to a range of experts who can help you with any legal issue.

International Estate Planning 

In today's global society, many individuals have an international aspect to their affairs on account of where they or their families live and/or where their assets are based. Our experienced team understands the tax and succession issues which affect individuals who have chosen to live or work in a different country or who have assets in different jurisdictions. As well as advising on domicile and tax (to include UK income, capital gains and inheritance tax), we will prepare legal documents such as Scottish Wills, Trusts and Powers of Attorney and help you plan ahead. We will give you peace of mind that you and your family are protected.

UK Expat Tax Advice 

Whether you are leaving the UK temporarily or permanently we can advise you of any ongoing UK tax requirements you may face, how you will be treated for tax in the year of departure & finalise your tax affairs for that year or any actions that should be taken either before or after departure in order to remain as tax efficient as possible. If you are coming to the UK we can advise you on any actions that should be taken prior to arrival or notifying HMRC that you may need a Tax Return or advising how you will be treated for tax in the year of arrival.